Sunday, April 25, 2010

Blood Wedding

This is Part One of a flamenco trilogy, the other two parts of which I had seen before. "Carmen" was the first film I saw, and I fell in love with these movies. A modern-day flamenco troupe acts out the story of Carmen. I subsequently saw "Bizet's Carmen," which was enacted by the same cast. It was marvelous. I then saw "El Amor Brujo," which, again, was excellent. I would give "Blood Wedding" four stars, but I was disappointed that there was not as much dramatic flamenco dancing as in the other two films of the trilogy. I had read Lorca's play some time ago, but I find it difficult to read plays and stage directions, even though I took acting lessons in the past and am supposed to look upon plays as an opportunity to create a role, develop character, and look upon them differently since I am in the know. I am glad Saura developed these trilogies, and they are very wonderful plays.

No comments:

Post a Comment