Thursday, April 8, 2010

Crooked Little Heart

I finished reading this novel by Anne Lamott today. This is the first fiction I've read by her, and she is as good a writer of fiction as she is a writer of non-fiction. Mostly I like her advice on writing given in "Bird by Bird," and this book proves she can actually write. She is an entertaining and funny speaker, and that is probably one reason why she can write fiction so well. I felt the age-old inferiority complex because she can write with such detail, knowing the names of native flora and fauna, describing Rae at her weaving. Then I read the appendix to her book and she thanked lots of people with whom she had conversations about these topics she can describe in such detail. She's written an earlier novel about the heroine Rosie when she was a preteen. In this book Rosie is a thirteen-year-old. I hear she has just come out with a book on Rosie as a teenager. I like how she can accurately describe how teens feel. Actually, she thanked teenage girls she had conversations with as well. I was drawn to this book because Rosie starts cheating in her tournament tennis games, and a homeless man who attends all her matches knows. Hearing about that specific plot point caused me to buy this book; I do not feel compelled to read the other two books, but I may. It's just that I have so many books to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment